Course: Snacks and Sandwiches
- 1 sheet Frozen Puff Pastry thawed
- 2 pounds Yellow Onions sliced into rings
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 5 strips Bacon diced
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Melt the butter and oil together in a large skillet and add the diced bacon. Cook until the bacon is halfway cooked.
- Add the thyme, onion and salt to the skillet. Cook on medium-low heat until the onions are completely translucent and caramelized. This will take around 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine 2 eggs and the half and half in a bowl. Add the caramelized onion mixture and the freshly ground black pepper.
- Roll out the puff pastry in a buttered pie or glass dish. (Make sure the pastry has four edges in order to hold the onion mixture.)
- Add the mixture to the pastry and bake for 35 minutes or until the crust and top are slightly browned.
- Allow to cool, then slice and serve.
- Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Macaroni and Cheese
- Caramelized Onion and Beef Loco Moco
- Ham, Caramelized Onion and Gruyère Pizza