From marthastewart.com. Check out the link below for more.
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 25 Min
Total Time: 2 Hr 15 Min
- 3 medium Beets scrubbed and trimmed
- 1 pound Black Beans dried
- Black Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Scallion thinly sliced, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup Cilantro Fresh, chopped
- Rice for serving
- 1 Lime in wedges, for serving
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese grated, for serving
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven or other heavy pot, combine beets, beans, and enough water to cover; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until beets are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour (add more water to cover, if needed).
- Transfer beets to a bowl; when cool enough to handle, peel and dice. Continue to cook beans until tender, about 1 hour more; pour off any excess liquid.
- Finely chop garlic, and sprinkle with salt. Using a chefs knife, press a flat side of blade back and forth across garlic to make a paste. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium; add garlic paste, scallion, and cilantro. Cook, stirring frequently, until scallion has softened, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Stir scallion mixture into beans; cook over medium until flavors have blended, about 5 minutes. Serve beans and beets over rice, topped with scallion and cheddar, with lime wedges alongside.