Course: Side Dishes
- 3-4 Turnips cleaned & peeled
- 4 oz guanciale diced (sub bacon)
- Wine Vinegar splash of
- A few leaves of the following:
- Chervil if you can find it.
- Black Pepper freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Put a thick saute pan over a medium heat, and toss in the guanciale. Let the fat render off the guanciale, and the pieces of meat crisp up. Remove the pieces of meat, and turn up the heat under the pan of guanciale fat.
- Put the turnips in to the hot fat, toss to coat. Bung the pan in to the oven. Roast until the turnips are golden brown, about 25-30 minutes depending on size. Toss the turnips in the fat a few times during roasting.
- Just before serving, finely chop the herbs. Pull the turnip pan from the oven and throw in the pieces of cooked guanciale meat. Toss to combine. Add a splash of wine vinegar, let it fizz, and stir to combine again. Finish the dish with the fresh herbs and a little freshly ground black pepper. You will find the guanciale salty enough so no extra salt required.