Course: Main Course
- 1 Lemon juice only
- 1 small Celeriac about 1lb 7oz, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium Potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 5 oz packs Smoked Salmon
- small handful Dill fresh, chopped
- 1 Onion finely sliced
- 284 ml (.6 pint) Double Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the juice of one lemon into a large bowl.
- Slice your celeriac into thin slices (a mandolin or food processor works well) tossing them into the lemon juice as you go, then add the potato slices.
- In a large ovenproof dish, layer the celeriac and potato with the slices of salmon, sprinkling with your small handful of chopped dill, 1 chopped onion and drizzling a little cream over each layer. Season with a little salt and lots of pepper at each stage. You should have three layers of potatoes and celeriac sandwiching two of salmon, onion and dill. Finish with the remaining cream.
- Cover the dish with foil and place on a tray. Bake for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 30-40 minutes until bubbling and the top is crispy and golden.
- Test that the vegetables are cooked by inserting a skewer or small knife – it should push in easily. If you like, you can flash it under a hot grill to get the top layer really crispy.
- Leave to cool slightly then serve straight from the dish with a crisp green salad and some chilled white wine.
- Recipe adapted from Good Food magazine, January 2004